Operation Good Cause 2019 is a fundraiser raffle of a 28mm WW2 US army benefiting the ICRC.

Review - Butlers' Printed Models Jeeps

Butlers' Printed Models offers an interesting service - 3D-printed vehicles in different scales and covering WW2, Cold War and Modern vehicles, including several models I haven't seen anywhere else.
Today we will look at their first contribution to our project, which is the humble jeep, or rather, two jeeps!


This is a first for me, I have never had the opportunity to examine a 3D-printed vehicle up close. I have seen plenty of pictures, and like to pretend I know a thing or two about the technology, but I never actually got my hands on the products.

Many people will say that 3D-prints are still too rough and lack the details to compete with resin and plastic kits, and, well, that is true. Nevertheless, these jeeps are making a mighty fine impression on me:


The undersides are quite rough, but that doesn't really matter, does it?


There are some easy improvements one can make, i.e. taking out the printed windows from the frames and replacing the steering wheel. I hope to find a driver for each, and I'll add some of the surplus storage from other kits.

The stepping on the hood is quite obvious, but it is extremely easy to fix.


It took me literally less than two minutes to file it down to this, and some sanding should easily finish the job.

The size of the vehicles looks spot on:


I'll do another 5 minutes of filing/sanding on each and than they are going into the painting pipeline. No doubt they will make great additions to the army!

No comments:

Post a Comment